Thursday, 4 December 2014

Emcee Facechart

Based on my research of 1930's circus this is the face chart I have created. This is just an initial idea because I don't feel like I have completely come to terms with the character that I want to create. The Emcee's that I have seen have either been in a film or a play so their make-up is allowed to be a little theatrical but I want mine to seem authentic.
It is difficult to try and convey so many personality traits and a background story just through the make-up and hair. I am not used to working with male hair because it is so short there seems to be less styling that can be applied.


  • Begin by mixing together two of the Kryolan foundations with the Illamasqua rich liquid foundation to create a milky tan tone and apply straight to the face.
  • Blend well as the foundations you use are a thick consistency.
  • Apply a dark concealer colour just underneath the cheekbone and then a pale concealer to the actual cheekbone and blend again. This will give a contoured effect and add more definition to the face.
  • Use a coffee coloured eyeliner to fill in the eyebrows of the model. Slowly add a darker brown or black into the eyebrow so that it isn't a block colour.
  • For this image I decided I would use a model that already had a moustache so that I could see what it would look like if I were to actually use their real facial hair. So I began by applying the same technique as I did with the eyebrows but to the moustache. Then use a brown eyeshadow to lightly to dust the moustache.
  • For the eyes apply a very fine line along the top lash line with gel or liquid eyeliner and then repeat the line but vertically down the eyelid, carrying on to underneath. You may choose to make the eyeliner thicker where the two lines meet.
  • Then apply mascara to the top and bottom lashes for definition.
  • Lastly, powder the face.







I found that once I had created the moustache I didn't like the look it gave my model. It made him look more like a pilot from another era than a 1930's Cabaret man. It wasn't thick enough, the colour was wrong and it didn't curl in the direction that I wanted. That is when I decided I wanted to use artificial facial hair because that way I could cut it, colour it and style it the way I wanted to. One thing I wanted to keep about the original Emcee is the black hair because it contrasts so well with the pale face so I had to make sure I got the facial hair to match my model's hair colour. I felt that my first face chart didn't convey Emcee how I had imagined and it looked to plain. I knew it was time to go back to the drawing board...


No comments:

Post a Comment