Thursday, 4 December 2014

1930's curls

In our first year we learnt how to do finger waves using barrel curls. But the importance of doing this style is so we can use it in our historical designs as well as manipulating it for a contemporary.
  • ·         Begin my brushing the hair through with a pin tail comb so all of the knots are gone.
  • ·         Then part the hair on the side, either left or right depending on which way the hair naturally falls.
  • ·         You want to start your curling at the front of the head. Place the hair around the tongs at the end of the hair and roll it anti-clockwise until the strand is wrapped around the tongs and you have reached the root of the hair.
  • ·         Leave it there for about 30 seconds then gently easy the hair off the tongs, trying to keep the barrel curl in place. Then clip into place with a sectioning clip.
  • ·         Repeat this step in a brickwork formation across the entire head.
  • ·         When you come to doing the curls on the side of the head that has less hair try to angle the curls so they point towards the centre of the head.
  • ·         Once the whole head is curled start unravelling the curls in the order that you curled them because they will be more set and cooler.
  • ·         You then want to use a paddle brush to brush the curls till they are frizzy.
  • ·         Then apply a shine spray at it will make the hair more shiny and make the hair look healthier.
  • Then use a comb to brush the waves into place, gently try to backcomb the waves into place.
  • Try putting sectioning clips in the waves to keep them in place until you are ready to photograph.

If you were to use a model with longer hair you would follow the same steps. But when you take the hair out of the clips, brush it through and then use stuffing or if the hair is thick enough you can roll it underneath.
Then use wig pins to pin the hair into place. If necessary backcomb the hair to give it more volume.







I found this surprisingly difficult, especially with short hair. Just because the ends of each strand were very straggly and I couldn't always wrap the tongs all the way to the end which had an effect on my overall image. The finger waves themselves didn't sit properly and then I was left with a piece of hair from the fringe that I tried to curl around into a kiss curl but I was not successful. I thought it was really practising this look because it was so vital in this project and I found the more I tried it the best I got at it. I would have loved to try it on long hair so that I could really transform a long hair style into a bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment